Friday, December 27, 2013

December 25 - Bing Crosby's "I'll Be Home for Christmas"

Bing Crosby ( 1903-1977) sang "I'll Be Home
for Christmas" for a record issued in 1943.
Bing Crosby sang the original "I'll be home for Christmas" in December 1943. Because of Crosby's frequent USO trips, the song was linked from the beginning to the military service personnel stranded overseas during the Christmas season. Here are the lyrics (repeated once):
I'll be home for Christmas; / You can plan on me.
Please have snow and mis-tle-toe / And presents on the tree.
Christmas eve will find me / Where the love light gleams.
I'll be home for Christmas / If only in my dreams.
Although Crosby, despite his public image, was flawed as a father and husband according to a 1983 book by his eldest son Gary (named for Gary Cooper), he was unexcelled as a major purveyor of morale among American troops in World War II Europe. His movies with Bob Hope and Dorothy Lamour were military and civilian favorites.

No comments:

Post a Comment